Sunday, June 25, 2006

Introverts: An orientation, not a lifestyle choice



























I have often thought of making myself a t-shirt, badge or other such proclamatory outerwear that says "I don't do small talk" or "I suck at parties" (although the latter option does have the potential to be misconstrued by those not entirely pure of mind). I have also been tempted to include a disclaimer in my CV that reads in bold: Definitely NOT possessed of a 'bubbly' personality. Find here an illuminating article on being an introvert in an extrovert's world. (Thanks Janey!)

Now, that's well enough social interaction for one day - I'm off to recover.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

am I just a little slow, or is there no link to the article?

Jen said...

Click on the title - 'Introverts: An orientation, not a lifestyle choice.' :-)

Anonymous said...

hahaha, "a minority in the regular population but a majority in the gifted population." Excellent!

Antony said...

At the great risk of encouraging this perversion -oops - orientation, a quote from a famous introvert:

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.

Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
—Henry David Thoreau

Both sorts of verts may be interested in personality theory (eg Jung or Myers-Briggs) which suggests that such tendencies are normal, even useful. You can even measure it here: http://www.advisorteam.org/

Will said...

I did the Myers-Briggs test. It confirmed my suspicions that I do hate people.