Tuesday, April 18, 2006

iPODs and OED

A few weeks ago my lust for an ipod led me to the apple homepage, where I discovered you can personalise you ipod with 23 characters engraved on the back. I can’t actually afford an ipod at the moment and my very lovely Glasweigan friend has lent me hers, so I have ample time to come up with something completely appropriate and unique to me. (The site had suggestions on the ‘cult of ipod’ – eg “ipod therefore I am” but that’s a bit lazy I think…) But really, 23 characters is not very many. I wanted some really inspirational music-related quote, but in 23 characters you gotta be damn pithy. Plus I hate text-language, c u l8r, etc, which potentially could save me some space. Anyway here are some nice quotes I found on askoxford.com…..

Music has charms to sooth a savage breast.
William Congreve 1670-1729: The Mourning Bride (1697)

It is only that which cannot be expressed otherwise that is worth expressing in music.
Frederick Delius 1862-1934: in Sackbut September 1920 'At the Crossroads'

Architecture in general is frozen music.
Friedrich von Schelling 1775-1854: Philosophie der Kunst (1809)

Their website also has a really cool basic grammar help desk thingy, for when you can’t quite remember where those pesky apostrophes are supposed to go. A classic word nerd introduction to dangling participles can also be found here - : “Dangling participles often make good jokes; but they can be confusing and it's best to avoid them.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And Michael Flanders said "Music is defrosted architecture". Tee hee.

Darling I L'd OL at your BJ takeorff; not so giggly at your revealing my chicken neck insecurities though.

AND I'd forgotten about the ginger in the Anzac biscuits. mmmm

Anonymous said...

Oh god, this is turning into quite the family affair.

Jen, the key is not in moisturiser, it's in SUNBLOCK. It must be true because Reese Witherspoon says so. Prevention prevention prevention...